Saturday, September 17, 2011

Top 10 Anthrax Songs That Suck...NOT!

It's been a big fucking week for these boys, with their first album in 8 years (and first with THE Anthrax vocalist, Joey Belladonna, since 1990's "Persistence of Time") "Worship Music"(which absolutely fucking RIPS. Metal album of the year, in my opinion)  being released this past Tuesday, the band having their own "Anthrax Day" in the Bronx (their home base), and them playing Yankee Stadium as part of the "Big 4" concert with Metallica, Slayer, and Megadeth. So, it's ALSO been a big week for Anthrax fans, like myself. I decided to have a "Worship Anthrax Week" this week, along with Liquid Metal on Sirius XM doing a similar thing. To go along with my "Worship Anthrax Week," I decided to make this week's post dedicated to them and their kick-assery. Next to Metallica, Anthrax is my favorite thrash band, and one of my top 10 favorite bands of all time. These guys have MANY killer songs, but, I've decided to round together MY top 10 favorite Anthrax tunes that really fucking suck...NOT!

10. "Metal Thrashing Mad" - 1984
We'll kick off this list with a little metal thrashing madness! This song comes off of their first record, "Fistful of Metal," (with one of THE most metal covers, ever!) that came out in 1984. When the album was recorded, Dan Turpin was their vocalist. He had kinda raspy vocals that I don't really dig all too much (making "Fistful" more of a "listen to the music, fuck the vocals" kind of album, to me.) But, this is definitely my favorite Turpin-era song, which has been a concert favorite that's still played today! The riffing is absolutely killer and the drums are ripping, as always. The song has a Maiden/Priest kind of feel to it, which isn't surprising, given that those were HUGE influences on them as a band. I prefer the song when good ole Joesph Belladonna sings it, just like the video above. It's an essential Anthrax song, in my opinion. Right up there with "Caught in a Mosh," "Madhouse," and "I Am the Law."

9. "Room for One More" - 1993
Fast forward to 1993. The band has had two singers, at this point, in Turpin and Belladonna, being Belladonna the quintessential Anthrax vocalist (still true to this day). I don't know what people were thinking when Belladonna was fired in 1992, but I'd have to wonder if people thought this band would continue without Belladonna. If I lived in the time this happened, I wouldn't have a hope in hell this would happen. But, surprisingly, they did continue without Belladonna, and even more surprisingly, they still ripped. John Bush, former singer of Armored Saint (killer band!), came in and made a pretty killer album in 1993's "Sounds of White Noise." The album wasn't as thrashy as the past 'Thrax albums, but was definitely still heavy as fuck, as exemplified here on this killer tune from the album. The riff grooves like a mother, and the drumming kicks ass, playing along with the riffing going on. Bush sounds pretty awesome on the tune, as well. People that compare Bush and Belladonna, well...I look at it like I look at the Dio and Ozzy eras of Sabbath: they were two different bands that kicked ass and did their own asskickin' things. 'Nuff said.

8. "Medusa" - 1985
A tune about a motherfuckin' bitch! Those tunes are the fun kinds, right boys and girls?! Well, this tune IS fun, AND fucking bangs hard. The riff in this song sticks in your head. "Duh duh, duh na na, duh duh, duh na na." I LOVE IT. The chorus is pretty damn catchy too, along with the whole "DESTROYER OF LIFE, DEMON!" gang vocal bridge. One of MANY kick ass tunes off of my second favorite 'Thrax album: 1985's "Spreading the Disease." This was the first full album recorded with Belladonna, who joined in 1984 and recorded the "Armed and Dangerous" EP. This was the album that was going to kick start their career, in which, it did, touring with Metallica and many others in support of the album. It was going to be the next album though that was going to put them in a whole 'nother level. But, back to the song, it's still performed live from time to time, appearing on the "Big 4" DVD as part of their set. Although the vocals are not as, uhm, good as they once were, it still kicks ass, and Belladonna, for the most part, does a good job. It's just that damn chorus. Oh well, he still kicks ass, and so does the song!

7. "Belly of the Beast" - 1990
MORE COWBELL! Yeah, I thought that when I heard this killer tune off of 1990's "Persistence of Time." The drumming in this tune really gets me, because it grooves like a motherfucker, and has plenty of cowbell. Charlie Benante, dare I say, is a fucking UNDERRATED drummer. You hardly here his name when it comes to thrash drumming, or metal drumming in general. You usually hear about Lars Ulrich or Dave Lombardo, but never Benante. The man is a BEAST (yeah, I said that). The guitars in the beginning throw you for a loop once everything else kicks in. It's like it's going at another tempo, but then, it all comes together and gels...and ROCKS! The mosh part in the middle of the song fucking rules too. It really makes me want to break shit when I hear it. Killer song from a very killer album.

6. "The Devil You Know" - 2011
Personally, I wanted to choose "Earth on Hell" as my song for this slot, but, they don't have it on fucking YouTube, so, I chose this song instead to represent the metal album of the year this year. This song is like AC/DC on roids. Specifically, "Whole Lotta Rosie" meets "Caught in a Mosh." The riff is monstrous and gives the song lots of swagger. Belladonna is in fine form. It was good to hear him sing with Anthrax on new material again. It had been long overdue. The song just fucking GROOVES though. It gets you in a headbanging frenzy and puts you in a damn good mood. I know I was when I heard this song following "Earth on Hell" on "Worship Music." The riff in the opening of the song just put a shit eating grin on my face way too fucking big. I loved it, as I did the rest of the album.

5. "Schism" - 1988
To me, "State of Euphoria" is Anthrax's most underrated album. This album has some really stellar tunes on it! "Antisocial," "Be All, End All," "Now It's Dark," "Out of Sight, Out of Mind," so on and so forth. It really is a great album, but you hardly hear any one talk about it. It's quite a shame. The only "album" of Anthrax's that people really ever talk about is "Among the Living," which, despite it being a very kick ass album, is disappointing. 'Thrax had many great albums, and all of the Belladonna albums kick ass, this one being no different. My favorite track off of this record? Definitely "Schism." Although, it was pretty tough to choose between this song or "Out of Sight...". But, the drum intro in "Schism" really kicked my ass, along with the riffing in this song. So, I chose this song. The lyrics are actually quite good, dealing with a very serious topic: racism. "Don't look at me as a white man. I'm just a man." It's definitely about racism, and it's damn good lyrics too. Metal heads can write about serious shit, even though some people think differently. Even though Anthrax would have their silly moments in the band often, this song was a bit of a change of pace for them, dealing with a serious subject. But, they adjusted well to the change, and it would go on to their next record, "Persistence of Time."

4.  "Lone Justice" - 1985
Oh, buddy. Hear that bass?! Fucking A! Frankie Bello owns this tune, giving it it's groove and also giving it a kick in the ass. A very killer bass player, and one of my top 5 favorite bassists ever. Anyway! This song, man oh man, it is ridiculous. Lyrics about cowboys, well...at the time, I'm sure it was pretty funny. But, it still rules, because Anthrax would be the band to write a song about cowboys and have it kick ass. The riffs rule on this song too, as does Belladonna's singing. I don't feel like I need to say anymore. Just listen to this damn song.

3. "Efilnukefesin (N.F.L.)" - 1987
Unison riffing rules in this tune, with everybody locking in with each other and giving off a behemoth groove that just rips. Every time this song comes on, I can't help but headbang profusely and drum along. The riff is memorable! It's just that damn good! The lyrics were supposedly about John Belushi, who sadly passed away in 1982. Goes to show you how different these guys were compared to other heavy metal bands at the time. The things they'd write about were so out there, goofy, but yet, have a serious undertone to them. That could pretty much sum up Anthrax as a band too, and that's why they fucking rule, in my book.

2. "Gung Ho" - 1985
This song ALWAYS gets me jacked up every time I hear it. It's just so fucking fast n' thrashy, just the way I like it! Charlie Benante, again, rules in this tune. His double bass is fucking insane. I don't know how the hell he does it. He's fucking superhuman, I swear. The riffing in this tune is fucking dirty and heavy. It's really fucking beautiful. And what's even better than all that? A killer mosh part at the end, led by chants of "NOT!" and some increasing speed as it goes on, getting you more and more jacked up as you listen and headbang/mosh along. I wish they would play this song still, because this song really brings the motherfuckin' ruckus. Wanna fuck shit up at a party that sucks ass? Put this song on and mosh along. Fuck, break some stuff, and fuck some other people's girlfriends while you listen to this too! It's just THAT good!

1. "Indians" - 1987
There was no doubt in my mind that this was going to be number 1. This was my first Anthrax song I ever heard. I heard it on a compilation album that I got as a kid: "Hard Rock Cafe's 80s Heavy Metal." It had everything from Twisted Sister to Krokus to Motorhead on it. It was a bitchin' CD to have as a kid. Then, this song came on. Man oh man, I never heard anything quite like it before. Not even Metallica seemed like these guys. It was a whole new thing to me. It was so gritty, so heavy, and so fast. I fucking LOVED it. I'd run around my basement listening to this song, acting like a fucking retard because of how kick ass the song was. I was intrigued by this band after I heard this tune. I mean, I hear a song about Indians as a kid, and I was going to be interested. Don't ask why. It was just because I was a kid and never heard any shit about Indians before. Not even the "CHEROKEE PEE-PLE!" song. Not only did the lyrics get me, but so did the music. The guitars really got me off. The sound of chugging and killer riffing makes me act like a fucking maniac. The drums were insane to me as a kid. Especially when I was just getting into drums. It was my first time I really heard double bass drums, and it was mind blowing. I'm like, HOW THE FUCK HE DO THAT WITH HIS FEET?! God damn. "Indians" is, and always will be, my favorite Anthrax tune. Forever and ever. 

There are MANY other 'Thrax songs I love, but didn't get mentioned in this list. SO!
I'll list them now, in chronological order:


"A.I.R." - 1985
"Armed and Dangerous" - 1985
"Among the Living" - 1987
"A Skeleton in the Closet" - 1987
"Out of Sight, Out of Mind" - 1988
"Now It's Dark" - 1988
"Keep It In The Family" - 1990
"In My World" - 1990
"Potter's Field" - 1993
"Black Lodge" - 1993
"Earth On Hell" - 2011
"In the End" - 2011
"Judas Priest" - 2011
"Fight 'em 'till You Can't" - 2011 

So, there you be, kids! Plenty of 'Thrax for you to check out and bang your fucking head to. All these songs I mentioned are killer as shit, and I SUGGEST YOU LISTEN. It might just blow your mind...and eardrums. 

Until next time bros and broettes,
Bonzo Brad 

No comments:

Post a Comment